Tuning problem...engine troubles solved

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuning problem...engine troubles solved
From: "Marc Nederkoorn" <nederkoorn@vinden.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:42:36 +0200
Listers,

My engine troubles are solved and the tips and support received are greatly
appreciated. I've made a few runs, maybe 50 mls in total, half of those
without the speedo due to a cable problem. The car is starting well and runs
fine when 'half warm'. Half warm means choke off, not on operating temp yet.
As soon as the car is really warming, after 5 miles or so, it develops a
splutter when picking up from idle to maybe 3000 RPM. I get exhaust popping
as well but I think those are resulting from the intermittent misses in the
engine.
If I rev the engine without load (car standing still) it revs pretty well,
no misses.

I cleaned and tuned the carbs and with Nelson Riedel's manuals help I think
the carbs are pretty good now. So I suspect an electrical problem and am
looking for suggestions. Timing is 10 BTD with retard disconnected. I'll
start with the usual: See if distributor advance moves while revving, change
points and condensor, look at the plugs (NGK BPR 6 ES, fresh installed). Any
hints for the more unusual faults are appreciated!
BTW, the car is a '74 TR6 with a '73 head (no EGR). Compression is ca. 9.5
and all smog installations are removed.

Regards,
Marc
'74 TR6