Re: TR6 solid engine mounts

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 solid engine mounts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Shane Ingate wrote:

> All,
>
> Anyone ever used solid engine mounts, and know of a source?  I'd like to
> replace the front rubber bushings with metal, without having to weld a brace
> to the block.  I intend to keep the gearbox soft-mounted.  Does anyone make
> polyeurathane mounts, or do I have to stick with rubber.

Solid mounts are probably a bad idea. For one - the shock loads have to go
somewhere. While I'm sure the results would be "visceral", the result
could (actually will) be cracks in the drivetrain. To wit - previous and
current Triumph road racers report broken tranny cases as a result of
doing this in the past.

I'm sure you can get polyurethane mounts in the UK, I don't know about the
US.

But that brings up another issue and that is "rules eligibility". I know
for sure that many SCCA classes don't allow solid mounts... NHRA probably
does but only for the "real race car" classes.

All compliance in the drivetrain is not necessarily bad.

Save your money - build some other performance mods into your car.

FWIW, I have noticed that the Group 44 TR6 had solid differential mounts,
from billit aluminium. I'll bet they take the body off from time to time
to check for cracks!

> Mounting the motor in this fashion will certainly make the driving
> experience more visceral, and quite interesting at idle if one has a lumpy
> cam.  I figure that a balanced '6 will be quite smooth off idle.  Benefits
> include improved response.

Believe me - you don't need that much visceral experience. One of my
friends (a 30 year autocross veteran) drove my TR6 a few weeks ago. His
description of the experience: "Scary fast". If you want to scare your
passnegers (as well as yourself), put in some gears (4.10 or lower),
lighten your flywheel, get some sticky tires and go nuts!

You'll be doing a _lot_ of laundry.

:-0

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shane Ingate in Maryland

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |