Re: More Seat Questions/sugg

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Seat Questions/sugg
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:07:32 -0500
I have done several car interiors... and yes, if you are careful and
document (photos and notes) what you do, as you do it and only do one seat
at a time.

It's easiest if the seat covers are in two sections...IE, the back cover is
separate from the bottom cover. You may have to unclip/unfasten a section of
the back cover so that you can undo the bottom cover in order to remove it.

You can buy the new webbing, and it really takes more arm strength than
brain strength :-)   Once you see how the webs are attached, I don't think
you will have any trouble. You may have trouble finding bottom-only seat
foams. Most of the suppliers want to sell you the whole 4-piece set. For my
tr4a, I bought MGA seat foam bottoms and trimmed/modified them to fit. Your
local fabric/arts/ crafts stores stock all thicknesses of foam so that you
can fill out the cover. The goal is to have a nice taut seat cover, no
wrinkled areas, where there is no foam underneath.

If you are careful about removing (and saving) the clips (take a photo of
the seat bottom before commencing), there is no reason why you can't reuse
the covers. However, if the vinyl or leather has aged, you may find that it
will split once it is pulled over the new foam.

Let  me know if you'd like photos of the seats I've done.

Valerie Stabenow, 62 MGA MkII, 67 TR4a, 69 XK-E FHC, 73 TR-6, 81 Corvette
Coupe