Choke Return Springs Too Strong

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Choke Return Springs Too Strong
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

Some PO of my car had replaced the original stiff
choke cables with flexible ones. Unfortunately, that
PO didn't add the return springs to the choke valve
assembly.

Prior to my rebuilding of the carbs, you could
generally still push the choke completely closed.
However, now that I've rebuilt the carbs and
everything is a little "tighter" (both carbs were
missing choke assembly gaskets!), it is nearly
impossible to close the choke valves using the dash
knob.

So, today I added the return springs, sourced from
TRF. Now I have the opposite problem, the choke valves
slam shut and won't rest open. I tried only placing a
spring on one of the valves, but, while it worked OK,
the spring-less choke will still sometimes hang open.
The spring is mounted in identical position to the one
in the photo in Nelson Riedel's excellent carb rebuild
documents. I did leave the spring-loaded balls in
place.

I don't see any "tightness" adjustment I can make to
the choke know assembly. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

William
'74 TR6
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs