Re: carb fire

To: Jeff <jjpurser@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: carb fire
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jeff wrote:

> Today I successfully completed my first car repair: I replaced my starter.
> Revving the car up, I noticed a red glow coming from the engine.  Looking
> closer, I saw flames shooting out of the carb filter.  I reckon that
> something must have fallen - crawled? -  into the filter while it was off
> (so that I could pull out the starter) and caught fire.
>
> Any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this problem?  Nothing could be
> more frustrating than finally fixing a problem, only to cause another.

We feel your pain.

I've personally had this occur on my TR6 when it had Weber DCOE's on it.
Not fun.

Take the effected carb off and carefully inspect for melted metal. The
carbs are made of an alloy that has a pretty low melting point. If
anything is distorted at all, chuck the part and get another carb.
Remember that the dimensions inside the carb are super precise, so if you
can see it - the thing is not even close to precise anymore.

I spuupose the good news is that you caught things before you had a
disaster and it sounds like you were testing things at home, so at least
you didn't have to get towed 72 miles home after your episode! All I can
say is that on that day for me, my Triple-A-Plus paid for itself a couple
of times over.

> Jeff Purser
> '72 TR6

Good luck,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |