DIY painting -- equipment?

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: DIY painting -- equipment?
From: "Rick" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:58:34 -0400
Graham,

I'm just finishing up my TR6 project that included painting it at home. It's
not perfect but I have the satisfaction of doing it myself and learning a
new skill (well -still learning). Much of the paint trials and tribulations
are on my web page http://users.clinic.net/~rpatton/paint.htm

The web site isn't quite up to date but the painting section explains what
has been done. My air compressor is adequate for painting (4.5 HP single
stage) but isn't nearly large enough to run an air sander for more than a
few minutes. I now own three spray guns; a touch up gun, a traditional 1
quart gun, and a HVLP gun. You can probably do without the traditional 1 qt
gun. A touch up gun is good to get started and it doesn't require a huge
compressor.

In the restoration I used a 3" pneumatic cut-off tool (very very handy), a
pneumatic 4.5" disc sander, a board sander, and a dual action sander. They
can all easily out run my little compressor. Sandblasting can only be done
in three minute bursts. As Steve suggested earlier, a 6.5 hp compressor is a
better choice with the largest tank available. Someday I'd like to have a 2
stage 7.5 hp compressor! You will also want a good regulator and an in line
air drier. I used small disposable driers right on the gun.

If you look at my web page you'll see that the paint fumes really got to me.
You need to be very careful so spend some extra money and get a good
respirator mask with replaceable carbon filters. ONLY a fresh air supplied
mask is approved for modern two part paints that use a hardener. That said,
most body shops around here use a standard paint mask (3M or SAS) with
replaceable carbon filters. The carbon filters have a short life when
exposed to the air so they should be changed often and the mask stored in a
sealed plastic bag. Ask your paint supplier about a respirator for the paint
you will be using.

I used Martin Senour paint from NAPA Auto Parts. Great paints, friendly
knowledable staff, and a wicked good discount (I own the store). I can only
speak for my store, but we have Triumph color charts as well as thousands of
others, custom colors, multi-tone (color changing paints - eh Shane?), and a
spectrometer to match just about any color. We can even match paint to make
your TR6 the same color as that classic 1972 avocado refrigerator! Our staff
is quick to offer advice and  make recommendations to novice painters. I
suspect that any larger parts store dealing in paint will offer the same.

A last thought is to see if you can spend a little time with a professional
painter. The things that are tough to figure out by yourself is how to
properly adjust the gun, overlap patterns, preparation, coating thickness,
etc. A friend came over to get me started and in the short time he was here
I learned a great deal.

Good luck with your project. Still learning,

Rick Patton
Brunswick Maine
75 Delft Blue TR6
http://users.clinic.net/~rpatton