Re: TR6 Gearbox Question

To: Jon & Susan <jsmessier@mail.earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Gearbox Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:44:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Jon & Susan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a question regarding the Gearbox # on my early 1974 TR6.

I've had a '74 since '74, so I'll try.

:-)

> Mine appears like this: CC9v983513. If you look closely, the "v", the "8"
> and the last "3" are smaller (much smaller) than the rest of the numbers.
> Is that normal? Do I have a freak or special gearbox?

Hmmm. I haven't seen that. The numbers would sound okay if they were just
CCxxxxx for a '74, maybe CCxxxxxx (e.g. over 100,000). I've never seen a
"v" in any of the gearboxes I've worked on.

My guess is that the number were tampered with.

FWIW, the factory sold gearbox cases with no serial number, perhaps your
gearbox was rebuilt and the rebuilder decided to provide some serial
numbers? That's just a wild-ass guess.

> Any help shedding some light on why it is this way would be great.
>
> Also, I am sure that this is been discussed before, but I want to ask
> anyway: when did the bumper overrides start for the TR6? Was it in the
> middle of the year or did it happen for ALL 1974 cars?

CF12500 is when the "boobs" were introduced.

Half-way (actually more than halfway) through the year (approx. late July,
early august '74 got the new raised bumpers. If you want a guess as to the
comm. number for the changeover, I'd have to say CF25000, but I'm pretty
sure the number is a bit higher than that (like CF28000).

But all '74's have the black rubber overriders.

> Thanks as always!
>
> Jon

Yer Welcome.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |