Welded Clutch Fork

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Welded Clutch Fork
From: Mark Wright <mewright@eznet.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:28:49 GMT
I've experienced some disappointments in my life - 4 Bills Super Bowl
losses including "Wide Right", Buffalo Sabres 1999 loss in 2OTs, but
removing my gearbox only to find no broken fork pin ranks near the top. The
DPO had fabricated his own fork by welding bars of steel and bolting them
around the operating shaft. Whatever the case, this "fix" appears to work
as the clutch fork causes the release bearing/release bearing sleeve to
slide freely on the gearbox front cover.

At least if I had seen a broken fork pin, I could attribute this to be the
cause, and would confidently reinstall the gearbox and new parts.  At this
point, I don't want to spend another 8 hours reinstalling the gearbox and
not knowing the real cause of my clutch woes.

Buckeye's section on "Clutch Release Bearing Woes" mentions a bad batch of
RPH's release bearings produced in the mid 1990's.  The number on mine
reads "RPH UK 14/W  2 1/16." Could this be a bad one.  I think I'm in over
my head on this one.  At least if I take it to my local LBC mechanic/parts
supplier I'm confident he can fix it. I'll save a few bucks on labor since
the gearbox is out already.

Oh yes, I must confess I saw a small amount of fluid on the body on the
Slave Cylinder, apparently I've got a small leak some place.  I thought it
was only fair to mention this.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Wright
Fairport, NY