Fwd: Welded Clutch Fork

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Welded Clutch Fork
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
If you had a bad bearing, the clutch would still disengage, it would
just make a heck of a lot of noise (I went through 4 bad bearings in a
few months several years back, huge annoyance).  You can also check the
condition of the bearing by spinning it.  A bad bearing will feel a bit
loose, and may hang up occassionally when you spin it.  Either way, a
bearing is not going to stop the clutch from disengaging.

This is a stumper.  You've got 1/2" of throw on the clutch slave
cylinder rod, and your fork has not come loose from the cross shaft
(since it's welded on!).  Everything should be working.  Did this
suddenly start happening?  Has your clutch ever worked since you bought
the car?  If not, maybe the DPO welded the fork on in the wrong
position, and therefore the clutch can't disengage because the fork
doesn't push the bearing far enough...

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6