RE: holy wire meltdown batman

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: holy wire meltdown batman
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:23:49 -0700
Alan,

When I took mine apart to paint it I found a number of grommets that the
wires pass through.  You may have to drill out the rivits that hold the
headlight "bucket" to the car.  Look on the bright side what an excuse to
put in new gaskets around the headlights and replace all the grommets and
splice points.

Seriously, I'd look at the point on the wiring that was furthest down the
melted section, towards the end of the harness.  Additionally look at the
body/frame near the wire.  In all probibility you'll never find the bad
spot,  the point of the short would be the first place that got hot enough
to melt.  I'd take a WAG (Wild A#@ Guess) that it was near one of the metal
tabs that hold the wiring harness in place.

I'm going to re-wire mine to new fuse holders with each lamp (and filsmant)
wired back to the fuse block with new wire.  Except for my distrust of
relays I was going to wire both high and low beams through relays.  I think
I'm going to do the high beams through a relay, but not the low beams.

When you re-wire, if you can, carefully crimp then solder the connections.
Soldering is said to release some of the crimp strength, but it also gives
both improved conductivity and mechanical strength.

Anyway just my two cents worth.

Steve