O/D Transmission oil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: O/D Transmission oil
From: sue & bob <kraeuter@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:48:05 -0400
Hello listers,

I'm finishing up the rebuild of a Type A O/D transmission and I'm
confused as to what type of oil to use in it.  The owners manual and
Bentley say to use GL4, 80W or 90W.  The manufacturer's rebuild manual
for the O/D says to use 20W or 30W mineral oil.  I assume 30W mineral
oil is simply non-detergent motor oil.  Having rebuilt the entire
transmission myself, I'm speculating that the manufacturer says to use
the thinner 30W oil since the O/D unit needs to generate on the order of
400 lbs of pressure to operate properly, and the heavier oil may not
perform as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Bob Kraeuter