RE: any historic connection with the motorcycles?

To: "Shawn Loseke" <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Subject: RE: any historic connection with the motorcycles?
From: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:16:31 -0400
So Shawn,

What is a true roadster?

Walt Philipson
74 Carmine

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-6pack@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-6pack@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Shawn Loseke
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 11:49 AM
To: Creamer, Mark
Cc: 6pack@autox.team.net

Originally I believe there was. The motorcycle company made the first
Triumph automobile (4-wheeled) in 1923. [Pre-dating MG's by the way.]
Having dabbled with two wheelers and three wheelers before that. Going
on to produce their version of the Austin "Seven" known as the Super
Seven, the Gloria, Southern Cross (Option laden Gloria) and Dolomite
(supercharged straight eight ALFA clone). The company diverged around
( or after) WWII when the Standard Motor Car Company bought (rescued
from recievership) the automotive division. Then producing the first TR,
even though it wasn't named so, the 1800 Roadster. [Remember, TR stand
for Triumph Roadster, even though they are not true roadsters.]
Followed by the long line of TR's that we know and love as well as all
the Saloon's (sedan's) and "lesser" Triumph motorcars.
  The lineage of our venerable 2.5 litre in-line six cylinder engine is
not traced to a tractor. But instead to a Standard Saloon. Originally
displacing 1.6 litre's.

The Triumph name and logo stayed with the Motorcycles. The automobiles
were known as Standard Triumph's. A form of early brand engineering.
Later when Standard was having trouble, British Leyland came along and
the Standard name was dropped, leaving Triumph as a British Leyland
brand with separate logo and licensing from the motorcycles.

  At  least I think I read that somewhere anyway.

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.loseke.net/shawn