Re: any historic connection with the motorcycles?

To: <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: any historic connection with the motorcycles?
From: Shawn Loseke <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:17:13 -0600
A roadster by definition is an open top car with neither a convertible
top nor roll up windows. Think Jaguar XK120. The TR2 and TR3 are close,
but they have attached convertible tops. Which in the proper British
vernacular is a "drop head coupe".  It seems that the terminology for
"Roadster" was generously applied, via marketing hyperbole to increase
the sporty image. How sporty does drop head coupe sound? The higher end
cars, such as Aston Martin, Jaguar and such continued to use Roadster,
Drop Head coupe and Fixed Head coupe for a little longer. Now, a
roadster denotes any two seat convertible. A coupe is simply  a two
door, non-hatchback automobile that seats either two or four people.
Just a simplification of terms.

Not all simply my opinion, some of it can actually be backed up. :-)

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.loseke.net/shawn