RE: oil pressure switch

To: "'Walt Philipson'" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>,
Subject: RE: oil pressure switch
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:38:45 -0700
        Walt:

        I just went through the same thing, and the answer is "no", you
should not get 0 ohms with it sitting on your workbench. I am not
sure what the reasoning is, but you only get 0 in a fairly narrow pressure
range.
        I am guessing that the oil pressure warning indicator is
energized at all times, and if you were to have 0 ohms with no
pressure, the oil warning would glow even when the key is not
in the ignition. Likewise for the anti-run-on valve (if you have one) -
it would be energized even with the car turned off.

        I, too, bought a new switch, for exactly the same reason. Sigh.
My investigation started when I attempted to hook the anti-run-on
solenoid back up, after the PO had removed it and the charcoal canister.
The solenoid was energized all the time, so I thought my switch was
bad. Bought a new one, same thing. Turned out the PO had buggered the
wiring and gotten a couple of wires swapped. Swapped the wires back,
and both the old and new oil pressure switches worked just fine.

        Ciao,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom