Re: Importing a Car from Canada

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Importing a Car from Canada
From: "Bill Elliott" <wcelliot_autox@fnader.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:38:54 -0500
A 1967 car is no problem at all.It's completely exempt from all DOT and EPA
regs.  You will just have to pay an import duty on it... I think 2.5% of fair
market
value... so get a signed bill of sale.

Some states will give you SERIOUS problems with a car with a Canadian
registration, but without a "Customs Cleared" stamp.

If you can prove that the car was ever officially imported into the US (such as
if it was originally sold in the US and then exported into Canada) you should
be exempt from even the import duty... for any given item an import duty is
paid only once.

>From model year 1968 up to something as new as 25 years old, you will need to
>additonally file exemption paperwork at the border.

Less than 25 years old: the car has to have a factory sticker/plate on it that
it meets US specs for whatever model year it is OR you have to get a
certificate
frm the manufacturer that it meets US specs or a list of things that would have
to be changed. (These have to be changed before you import the car, must
be done at a licensed shop, and you must show a receipt).

If it'less than 25 years old and a model never sold in the US, don't even try
it.  It's not worth it. Case in point would be late model Minis which are
completely
legal to import into Canada....

I have two cars imprted thru Toronto (saved 50% on shipping) that I have to go
and fetch. One is pre-'67, so no issues, the other is a '73, so older than 25
years, but a bit more of a hassel. And duty will have to be paid on both.

HTH!
Bill Elliott