RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?

To: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:59:17 -0400
Hi Dave. I just got back from a test run listening closely to the pitch of
the whine. It is definitely road speed related. I shifted 3-4-3-4 while
coasting and the whine stayed the same. Here's another condition where I
hear the sound: If I'm in neutral, coasting, and move the shifter almost
into gear with the clutch disengaged, I begin to hear a quieter whine with
the same pitch. This is accompanied by the jingle sound I mentioned in an
earlier post.

I'm getting more confused. I guess that shifting into gear even with the
clutch disengaged puts a small load on the differential. But I don't have an
explanation for the jingle sound just yet.

Another question: Since the main shaft speed also varies with road speed,
couldn't my noise be coming from it's gears?

Maybe I'll muster up the courage to try Bill Wellbaum's suggestion of
running the car up on 4 jack stands and getting under to listen.

- Hugh