PDWA Plunger Continuity

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: PDWA Plunger Continuity
From: John Griffiths <John.Griffiths@uregina.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 13:16:17 -0500
Hi Folks:

I'm working on a '73 TR6. After restoring the wiring between my brake
warning light and PDWA and grounding the connector and replacing the
missing oil pressure switch (and eventually getting the wiring correct
on that, thanks to Nelson Reidel et al)) I've been recently trying to
reset the PDWA with no success. I tried the brake bleeding approach and
I also tried the brad-awl-where-the-plunger-goes approach. No magic.
The light stays bright no matter what I try. If I take the connector
off the PDWA, the light glows dimly with the key on. Start the car and
the light goes out. That, it seems to me, indicates that I have the
connections OK. So... I took the PDWA plunger out and tested the
continuity. I'm assuming it should show absolute continuity (zero
resistance) at rest (i.e. plunger out) and infinite resistance
(showing "1" on the meter) when depressed (or vice versa...). I find
that it shows absolute continuity/zero resistance whether "at rest" or
depressed. Also I find that if I plug the connector into the plunger
unit (thereby connection the two points) the brake light stays on
bright with key on and car running. Forgive the naive question but
um... have I found my problem (replace the plunger switch)?

Thanks.

John