Re: Woodruff Key

To: rengrave@netzero.net (Wayne Ross)
Subject: Re: Woodruff Key
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne---Most of these keys were put in tighter than necessary. You are
on the right track, using the WD40, Vise Grips and a hammer. Work the
sprocket forward a little, if possible, to break the bond here, then tap
it back to expose as much as possible of the key.
 These sprockets are soft, so you'll not want to pry on the teeth.

I always test the new rocker shaft by raking a non-use area with a file.
These should be case hardened enough so that a file doesn't dig in.

You'll get differences of opinion on whether or not to use an auxiliary
oil supply line to the rockers. Personally, I think these got good press
when some owners came across soft rocker shafts, and it seemed like not
getting enough oil from the cam flat/engine was to blame. I like my oil
going to the bearings, and not to this spur line. Should you decide to
use the extra oil line, then adding valve seals would be useful.

Dick