Re: Rear axle, releasing the outer shaft

To: "Dimitri Huygen" <dimitri.huygen@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Rear axle, releasing the outer shaft
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:20:44 -0700
Dimitri,

You will need to use 10 ton or higher hydraulic press to remove the shaft
from the flange.  Renewing the outer hubs is work best done by a
professional who has the right equipment to disassemble and reassemble.

Best of luck.

David J. Stauffacher
1970 TR6
Ramona, California

Hi Listers,

I'm trying to renew the inner and outer bearings of my TR6 left rear wheel.

I followed my manual; so i started releasing the castlenut and the washer.
So
far so good.
The next step is to pull the shaft out of the flange so the whole set of
bearings, spacers and oil seals becomes vissible. Only one thing : it won't
come off, no mather how hard i try pulling or pushing. I tried greasing the
whole thing, i tried using several bolts and nuts to put pressure on it,
but
it won't work. (Notice i had no problems doing the same thing several
months
ago on my right wheel).

Can anyone help me trying to find a sollution or has anyone more engenious
hints to pull this thing out ?

Thanks, Dimitri, BELGIUM