No charging

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: No charging
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:48:12 -0700
Thanks to all of you who advised me regarding hard starting of my 1973 TR6
when hot, everything looks normal and I'm still working on that problem.
Now I have a more pressing problem in that the ignition light glows a steady
red at all engine speeds.  The voltmeter used to read 14V and now it is
reading 12V.  The red light had been showing itself more and more lately but
the voltage reading has suddenly dropped from 14V to 12V just as the light
has become a steady red.  I have a service manual that shows an alternator
control unit mounted on the engine compartment sidewall but there is nothing
there on my car.  I pulled the cover off of the rear of the alternator and
it looks to me as if there is a small control unit mounted on it.  The first
things I suspect are the slip ring/ brushes or the control unit itself.  I
have an oscilloscope and voltmeter so I can check waveforms and voltages at
various points.  Before I get carried away, are there some easy things to
look for?

Gary