RE: The TR6 I *didn't* buy...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The TR6 I *didn't* buy...
From: "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintas.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:18:27 -0400
2 years ago when I started looking for my car, the folks on this list
were *extremely* helpful. In fact, one of the primary reasons I joined
the club was the value I gained from the Surrogate Buyer program. TR'ers
looking to buy a car not close to home should look into joining for that
reason alone.

Anyway, I remember going to Indy one weekend after talking at length
with a seller, who assured me his car was "the finest example in the
Midwest." As he peeled back the car cover, paint and rust chips fell
off, instruments were hanging out of the dash by their cables, an
un-tuned Weber 3-carb "upgrade" (discovered on the test drive),
excessive play in the rear wheel hubs, etc. etc.  I quickly realized -
if this was the finest TR6 I was going to find, maybe I shouldn't buy
one after all.

But I persisted, and a few months later found a truly solid car being
sold by a man with morals, class and integrity. He told me what I was
coming to see, and when I arrived, that's what it was. Not perfect, but
exactly as promised. And I spent $3500 less than the first creep was
asking.

I think the much-discussed value matrix posted on VTR is a very good
guideline. Most of the cars I saw advertised for 12,000+, which should
have been 99 point cars, weren't worth half that much. That should be
the first clue - but I know you guys know that...just another chance to
say "thanks!"

Mark Creamer
76 TR6
CF53032UO