[Fwd: The TR6 I *didn't* buy...]

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: The TR6 I *didn't* buy...]
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:51:23 -0400
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:50:50 -0400
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Subject: Re: The TR6 I *didn't* buy...

After reading the horror stories in this thread about the problems and
expense of rust and body restoration (here in the north east), it made
me think the price for a new BMH TR6 body shell may not be a bad
investment ($7K). Unfortunately, new frames are no longer available.

>From BMH, it appears that there are three body shell choices

1969 to 1972 for Chassis prefix CP or CC
1972 to 1974 for Chassis prefix CF1 to CF27000
1974 to 1976 for Chassis prefix CF27001 to CF58328

Any consensus of which model is most desirable? My impression is that
the early models had better performance. Any issues of parts
availability?

What are your thoughts on frame restoration? Is this rocket science or
something that can be achieved. Makes me wonder how ones goes about
getting everything lined up correctly if old sections are replaced with
new ones. Perhaps whole section replacement is not usually required? Are
good frames generally available? Replacement section available?

Thanks,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don Malling