Smeggin Heater Control Valve

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Smeggin Heater Control Valve
From: "Nathaniel Steiner" <nathaniel_steiner@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:56:27 -0600
Longtime lurker, first5 time poster (will relay some other sordid details
regarding CF140U in a later post).  OK, what is the general consensus
regarding heater valves?  Mine is, or looks to be reasonably new.  A receipt
I got with the car says it was replaced in 1996 (about 10K ago).  Seems
free, and works OK except that it "rains" onto my exhaust manifold for about
the first 15 minutes after I change the setting.  Can these things be
repacked?  It appears that all that holds the body together is a pop-rivet
and the stem bears upon an e-clip.  Anyone ever put one back together
successfully?  Is the quality of replacements better from any one vendor?
Is this a "use-it-or-lose-it" part?  That is, should it be cycled
semi-monthly to keep the packing glands fresh?  Or was this designed by the
same moron who put 5/16 FINE THREAD studs (hub) into an aluminum
casting(trailing arm), or is it some bit of misbegotten detritus like the
steering locks, clutch linkage, or most anything inside the doors.  If mine
is an atypically bad one, somebody please spring forth in defense if this
part that caused me to arrive and disappear from a puff of smoke (steam)
downtown last Saturday night. Basically, I am interested in about any answer
other than just spending my annual $ 25 and living with it.

Nate Steiner