Re: Brown flotsam in brake fluid

To: "Keith Meinhold" <keith@navyboy.com>,
Subject: Re: Brown flotsam in brake fluid
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:41:12 -0600
Keith,

  I've noticed on my motorcycle, that the fluid gets a grayish cast to it in
about two years of use. The BMW book recommends flushing the system every two
years. I assume the fluid pulls moisture out of the air into the system over
time then the fluid gets contaminated. Yes, it's a lot easier to evacuate on a
motorcycle.
  Did you flush the system out completely or just top it off and bleed it? Of
course if you blow the system out with air it will be one pain in the %$#@ to
bleed your entire system again. It can be done with the help of a Mitty Vac
brake bleeder.
  I may be wrong here, but I feel as seals get older some of this stuff in the
system may be from the seals.(?)

Richard Seaton
'69 in the works