Alternator Conversion

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator Conversion
From: Seth Glassman <76tr6@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:56:30 -0400
Many thanks to all who responded to my dilema.  Tomorrow morning I'm heading to
the NAPA store to return the alternator.  From reading your replies, obviously,
I have the wrong model.

Out of desperation, I mounted my old Lucas with the later bracket (since I had
an air pump).  Since it sits alot lower than the new one would, this actually
worked to my advantage.  After doing a "dry run" of installing the supercharger
and its associated brackets and the belt with a belt tensioner, I noticed that
with the new alternator sitting higher, that the belt didn't bite enough of the
water pump pulley.  The result was being able to rotate the water pump with
very little effort even though the belt was super tight.  With the alternator
in its original location and lower, there is more downward angle on the belt
and now I have to use alot of effort to rotate the water pump pulley.

I will make the conversion eventually and when I do I'll just have to modify
the position of the belt tensioner.

Clock ticking, got to get back to work.  Thanks again
Seth Glassman