gear lube

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gear lube
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:55:48 -0700
Listers,

My TR6 owner's manual says to use GL4 gear lube in the dif and trans.  I
recall a conversation on the list about gear lube and that GL5 is corrosive to
the copper alloy parts in the transmission.  After shopping a bit locally, so
far what looks to be the best I can find is a NAPA product that says it
"services GL3, GL4 and GL5 requirements".  I want to take no chances on this
item so I haven't bought anything yet.  I wonder if one can even find a gear
lube that is formulated only to GL4 specs.  Does anyone have a recommendation
they can make regarding a suitable product I can most likely get locally?

Gary
'73