Re: Rattling Rear Six

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, tr6taylor@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Rattling Rear Six
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:21:20 EDT
tr6taylor@webtv.net writes:

> Darrell---I can't picture play in the axle splines and or wheel hubs
> rattling when hitting a bump. They would clunk when unloaded, and then
> reloaded.
>
> A hitch when turning a rear wheel is symptomatic of a u-joint that's
> giving up.
> Take another look at these four 'joints before spending for a new left
> rear hub.
> If you have other TR's that you could borrow from, you could do a hub
> exchange just to rule this in or out as the cause.
>
> Dick

Dick and others,
Thanks for your advise and concern.  I did find loose bolts at the diff on
the left side where the questionable hub is located. How do these manage the
get
that way I have no clue. This could be the source of the rattle. This is what
had me thinking the splines were bad.  The good news is that he splines are
OK.

 The inner u-joint is a little stiff but not real bad. Is it Roger Williams
who says you should periodically exercise them? The other areas look good but I
think while I'm there I'm just going to rebuild the whole shooting match.
The left hub definitely has too much play in it since you can rock the tire
back
and forth and hear it rattle.  I have a rebuilt one coming from Scot Harper @
Team Triumph for $195.00, not too bad.  Scot is a good guy, NFI.

Might even go for the diff mounts and urethane trailing arm mounts while she
is jacked up.  I like my cars to be bullet proof an it has been about 12 years
and maybe 14,000 miles since I have rebuilt the rear of the Six. I have
noticed increasing negative camber back there so I may have to ask for advise
on
what springs to buy. I would prefer it to ride at the right height. So stock
springs would be what I would be looking for.

I just hope I don't still have a rattle when I'm done from the exhaust, that
bolt someone put in my gas tank, duh I forgot to torque those nuts, tools in
the trunk, loose doors etc.  Like I said she has been rattling for a while now.

Thanks for your help, guys. I will report back when the Six is back on the
road. Hey, at least the Sump is no longer filling up with gas. I am getting
there.

Somewhat Cheers,
Darrell