Re: gear lube

To: res0s0t7@verizon.net (Gary Fluke)
Subject: Re: gear lube
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
Gary---I bought a gallon of StaLube 80/90 gear oil about 10 years ago
that read:  .....GL5....recommended for manual transmissions...... and
supposed to be a replacement for GL4. OK, oil companies are always
upgrading their motor oil. I recall needing oil with an SE rating when
the car was new. Now it is something around SG. Anyway, I've been using
the GL5 all of this time. I'm not recommending it, but whatever the
negative effects are, it's certainly slow to show up. There's at least
100,000 miles on this unit since the "modern" stuff came in, still
reasonably silent and shifting well. Less brass in the later trannies??

Dick