Re: Timing Marks on Dampner

To: Gameparker@cs.com
Subject: Re: Timing Marks on Dampner
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:51:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 Gameparker@cs.com wrote:

> List,
> got in a new crankshaft pulley from Moss last week and lo and behold, it does
> not have the timing marks on it.  Am I looking at some time with a ruler and
> a Dremel, or did I get a defective one?
> Thanks,
> Geoff Parker
> 74 TR6

Hi - I'm in the same boat. The answer is that Summit and some of the
others sell tape with numbers that you can apply. You just need to figure
out the diameter of the dampener (which is pretty close to 6.75") and get
a tape to fit. If you buy a tape for a 7" dampener, you'll be okay, but
the timing numbers will be off franctionally as you get away from the
actual TDC mark. You'll be better finding one that is an exact fit
(obviously).

I actually wound up doing the measurement one time (long ago) and realized
that the increment for one degree on the outside edge of the dampener is
pretty easy to measure with a machinist's scale. I wound up making grease
marks on the dampener all the way around so that I could time the cam (I
literally didn't have two nickels to rub together at the time, so a degree
wheel (even a $3 jobbie) was completely out of the question.

regards,
rtml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |