RE: Problems at 4500 RPM

To: Jim Swarthout <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Problems at 4500 RPM
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

My TR6 pulls to over 5000 with no problem. 9.5:1, ZS 175's with k&n
filters, Rick Cline cam, stock rockers, some port messaging and stock
pistons. The exhaust is ratted out Monza. The car seems to breathe fairly
well.

3000 to 5000 is nice and smooth.

My other TR6 accelerates past 6000 like a scalded cat. I generally shift
at 6000. That one has a bit more compression (11:1 estimated) and a
re-worked header and free-flow custom exhaust and the Weber DCOE 40's.
BUT, it has stock valves with a three-angle valve grind.

Both cars use the exact same ignition - Mallory dual point with an MSD
Blaster 2 coil. Both cars use stock rocker assemblies, the race car has
tubular pushrods.

That said - I had a minor problem with revving past 5000 a couple of years
ago with the street car. With the help of my friend Rick Trowel, we
diagnosed a minor linkage problem - the carb butterflies were not opening
completely. Re-adjusting to factory specs (they are listed in the
Bentley manual) fixed that problem.

So - before you start playing with needles and all that stuff, make sure
that the linkage is opening the carb all the way.

Remember that when you change _anything_ from stock, you have to check
_everything_ to make sure it is working properly. Make no assumptions.
This is good advice even if I don't heed it all the time.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |