Re: TR6 Restoration

To: "josh duncan" <boogyman_13@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Restoration
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:49:45 -0400
Josh,

You'll get a variety of responses and all pretty much correct.    The first
question is to what degree you want to "restore" this TR6?  To respectable
daily driver standards or concours standards?  I know of one fellow who
insisted that he wanted a particular car restored, even when he was told he
could do better by buying one in better condition and save a ton of money.
After about $20,000 he's just about completed.  Could have bought a top
grade TR6 for at least $5000 less.

I'll say this much - if you are mechanically adept and have a decent set of
tools then doing most (emphasis on MOST) chassis and engine work is not
difficult.  However, unless you own a body shop or a bodyman owes you a huge
favor ( and I mean HUGE favor) a collision damaged or badly deteriorated
body (rockers, sills, floors, upper fender seams, battery box, etc) will run
up a bill faster than Imelda Marcos in a Nordstrom's shoe department!  If
anything, go for a decent condition body with a seized engine, or rusted
suspension, or whatever!  Oh, and take a small ball peen hammer with you and
tap along the sides of the rear chassis rails and small rails where the rear
suspension arms hangs off of.  Listen for the dull 'thud' indicating rusting
from the inside.  These are notorious rust/rot areas that could also cost a
small fortune to repair, although at this point in time it's probably going
to be the exception that a neglected TR6 is not going to need this work
anyway.

You may want to ask if a lister is in your area to help you scope out this
TR.  It's commonly done.

Good luck!

Greg
CD6250L