Ring Gear

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ring Gear
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 05:44:44 -0400
List members,

Hmmm..... Sounds like this reversed ring gear thing means that if I ever
have thoughts of upgrading my TR250 starter with a gear reduction
starter or whatever, I would be wise to reverse the ring gear now while
the engine is out, rather than have to pull the transmission to reverse
the ring gear later?

The TR250 ring gear must have the bevel towards the transmission because
it is the older pull style engagement. I assume that the later and
replacement starters are all the push engagement which means the rig
gear bevel should be towards the engine.

Sounds like removal of the old ring gear is a destructive process. Any
special recommendations about getting a new ring gear -- TRF, BPNW, Moss
all OK?

Bentley says to lower the transmission out the bottom, but I think I can
recall reading on the list that you guys take it out the top. Is this so
you don't have to remove the exhaust system or are there other advantages?

Don Malling