Re: Rusted Wheels

To: <jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rusted Wheels
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:42:07 -0400
Jim,

Bead blasting or chemical stripping are the two best alternatives for serious
rust removal.  Chemical strippers are not real common so there may or may not
be one in your area, or within driving distance.  I've found the cost
difference to not be much as the time to beadblast at an hourly rate is almost
the cost for dipping.  Given that fact I usually go the chemical strip route
but you'll have to comparison shop and decide.

I would have the rims powdercoated if an exact color match is not necessary.  I
say not exact because powder coating the TR silver probably requires blending
of different shades to get the right shade.  It is possible that a standard
silver powder does exist that very closely matches the stock color but the
powdercoater is the best source for this info.

If the rims are deeply pitted in visible areas you may want to consider using a
special silver bondo that has aluminum in it (can't recall the name).  Works as
good as if not better than your standard bondo and is able to withstand the
heat of the powdercoating process.  It does give off a very strong bondo odor
so use with good ventilation.  Done right one would never know the rims were
pitted.

Try to clean up the trim rings with Mother's Metal Polish.  It is also sold
under another name but it's the same soft blue paste that comes in s small
round plastic jar.  With the size of the rings it'll be alot of work but should
come out real nice.  You may not want to stop once you see the difference!
This stuff made some old heavily tarnished dull relays from my 250 look almost
like chrome when I was done with them!

I would think the center caps can be spray painted once cleaned up with some
sandpaper and primer.  Although I do not own a TR-6 I'm pretty sure that the
center buttons can be (and should be) removed before work is started.

Greg
CD6250L