Re: cylinder head

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cylinder head
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
Jim,

I believe cylinder heads from any year TR250/6 will fit engine blocks
from any year TR250/6.  However, as you have suspected, intake
manifolds are the problem.  The intake port spacing was changed on the
carb-spec TR6 (I believe this happened at CC75000).  The TR250 and
early TR6 head have intake port spacing that is closer together than
that on post-CC75000 heads.  Therefore, if your car is post CC75000,
then you have a late style intake manifold, and this intake won't fit
the head that you just purchased.  Two options:

1) get an intake manifold off a TR250 or early TR6.  However, this may
not be preferable, because I believe the late-style manifolds breathe
better.

2) Sell your new head and get a correct year new head.

Before you do anything though, make sure that your new head is
definitely not compatible with your current intake, by measuring the
distance between adjacent ports.  The difference in intake port spacing
between early and late style heads is quite significant (I think it's
around a 1/4" difference), so this is easy to measure.  It's quite
possible that the head you bought is a late style head, or that the
head (and therefore intake manifold) on your car is an early style.
Parts get mismatched a lot over 30 years!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6