Re: Powder color for wheels

To: Walt Philipson <WaltP@Anspach.com>,
Subject: Re: Powder color for wheels
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:25:13 -0400
Walt,

There are always several different shades of any color from manufacturer to
manufacturer as well as offered within one manufacturer's color line.

If you're looking for as close to stock silver as possible the best thing is to
bring a sample part with the desired color to a powdercoater and let him try to
match it with something in his catalogs.  You'll probably pay a bit more to
special order a non-stocked color as most powdercoaters carry only standard and
popular colors.  It should not amount to much, though.  The logic being his
minimum buy needs to be covered by you as it may not be used in the near future
by other customers and coating four rims is probably not going to use up all of
the powder.

Although it's definitely not stock looking I've seen one silver called Alien
Silver which looks to be as darn close to a satin chrome look as you can get
with a paint.  Unlike some bright silvers it's not garish and is a popular
choice for wheels at the powdercoater I use.  But again, the best thing is to
visit powdercoaters and see what they can do in matching the silver.

Greg Dito
CD6250L