Re: Flexible coupling on steering shaft

To: rsh17@msn.com
Subject: Re: Flexible coupling on steering shaft
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:30:55 -0400
Richard wrote:
>  Hey guys I'm looking for information about the flexible coupling on
> steering
> shaft, that rubber thing with the four bolts going through it which
> connects
> the upper and lower steering shafts.
>   The one I pulled off has two regular hex head bolts on one end and
> two allen
> head bolts on the other end. The allen head bolts are counter bored
> into the
> aluminum while the hex heads fit flush with no counter bores.

Richard,
I got my replacement from TRF, and it was correct, in that it had two
countersunk, and two for standard bolts. Although, the countersink was
not as deep as original, and did not allow the "safety wire hole" to come
all the way through the yoke that it threads into. It needs to be about
3/16ths deeper for it to fit as my original (72).
So far the bolts have remained tight, but I will continue to monitor them
whenever the hood is up. As everyone knows "that" does not happen very
often on our cars-Just kidding. For me it is at least once every drive,
as I am still "tweaking" my freshly rebuilt TR.

HTH

Mark Riddle
"72 TR6