Re: Steering Help Needed Fast!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Help Needed Fast!
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
Kerry,

Have you installed your shocks yet?  I believe this problem has come up
before, and it turned out that the shocks need to be installed, because
they control the pressure that the spring exerts on the vertical link
assembly.   Basically, if the shock isn't in, then the full pressure of
the spring is being exerted on the vertical link assembly, which is why
you are having a devil of a time turning the thing.  When you install
the shock, the shock takes the spring pressure, rather than the
vertical link assembly, and everything should turn smoothly.  Try
popping your shocks in and see how it works then.

Also, make sure you have put some gear oil into each trunnion before
you thread the vertical link in, as this is needed to lubrication.  If
you don't do this, your link will seize into the threads of the
trunnion over time, and your steering will get unbearably tight.  Ask
me how I know...

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6