Re: Wear in Sliding Splines

To: jnorth@novagate.com (John North)
Subject: Re: Wear in Sliding Splines
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
John---When these cars were new, there were no "clicking" sounds
anywhere. Accumulated wear along the drive train can create a windup and
snap during speed changes, as we know. Given the large surface area at
the axle splines, it is very unlikely to ever leave you stranded, as
opposed to play in a u-joint that gives out in the middle of no-where.
Play in the diff can go on for many miles, also. At some point we all
pick a time to snug things up.

Reversing sides on the axle units will give a new thrust side, as Greg
said. However the play and sound will still be here when doing the back
and forth twist check. I would separate the shafts and compare the worn
areas of these splines to the unworn, at the roots. I recall mine had a
.003 difference and some "click".

Dick