Re: VIN on Windshield post

To: "Michael Kutka" <mkutka@post.its.mcw.edu>
Subject: Re: VIN on Windshield post
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:34:42 -0700
Michael,

I hope someone knows this topic better than I, however, my recollection is
that beginning in 1968 the VIN tag was  to be, in accordance with federal
law, in plain site on top of the dash or on the windshield pillar.  I worked
for a car dealer at the time and was appalled that in 1968 the Federal
Government was also requiring a few very rudimentary emission reduction
items as well as side-marker lights, and rocker switches rather than those
horribly dangerous toggle switches.  Of course, gone were the beautiful
E-Type glass headlight covers, too.  At the same time there were the new
bumper height regulations.  This was just the beginning.  Yep, 1967 was the
end of  the good old days...bye, bye Big Healey and Cobra, never the like
would be seen again.  Thank you, Federal Government!

Gary