Re: VIN on Windshield post

To: hrmcaleer@bellsouth.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIN on Windshield post
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:01:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/2003 9:16:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hrmcaleer@bellsouth.net writes:
The car I wrote about with all of the numbers removed was in fact from TN.
On the 'A' door post is a tag in the shape of TN that looks like it has a
been assigned a number by that state.
Hugh,

I didn't receive the 6Pack digest with your original post, so I don't know
what was said originally.

In TN, and other states, I suppose, cars can be resurrected from wrecks (or
built from several wrecks), and given special VIN numbers accordingly. Perhaps
that was what happened in the case you mentioned. I would be more inclined to
think this since the VIN tag was in the shape of the state of TN, something
that no TR came from the factory with. If so, I believe the title will so state.

Not too many years ago, a young man here in TN bought his first car, after
saving his money from part time jobs. He read an article concerning the VIN
number requirements and noticed that his car didn't have the windshield tag as
required. In all innocence and honesty, he took the car to the local sheriff's
office to inquire. His car was immediately confiscated and he had to call his
Dad to come and give him a ride home. He never got the car back. He did file a
suit against the dealer that sold him the car, but the outcome was never
reported in the papers, so I don't know how it all turned out.