Re: Air Compressor

To: jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Compressor
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:11:54 EST
Bigger is definitely better as far as air compressors go. I purchased a 5 hp
13 gallon compressor for my restoration, sure that it would be powerful
enough, but boy was I wrong. Air tools like die grinders, and especially my
sandblaster, all use up all the air in the tank in about one to two minutes,
and then
the little 5 hp electric motor is buzzing like crazy (which is also loud as
hell) trying to keep up, and it takes about 5 minutes to refill the tank (and,
again, for about 1 minute of air supply). Does work fine with my impact wrench,
however.

I definitely wish I had bought something with a more powerful motor and a
larger tank (at least twice the size). If anyone's interested in a 5hp/13
gallon
compressor, let me know, because I'm looking for something bigger...So, again
to reiterate, get the biggest and highest rated you can afford. I think mine
pushes about 5 CFM at 90 PSI, which is definitely enough air, the only problem
is it just doesn't last long enough and the motor isn't powerful enough to
keep up or refill quickly enough.

-Sean