Re: Rear Tow in, out?

To: mocharand5@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Tow in, out?
From: Vsnively@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:50:21 EST
Regarding your pinion seal leak----I found out the hard way that if you use
the original leather-lipped seal, it should be soaked in oil for a few days to
make it more pliable. I installed (2) of them dry, leaks resulted in both
cases. There was a thread some time back regarding newer, neoprene-lipped
seals.
(Part numbers should be in the archives). This is the route I'm going next
time. Also, after years / miles of use, grooves get worn into the sealing area
and
cause leaks. Moss offers a speedi-sleeve that slips over the shaft, thus
restoring the original dimension to the shaft. This will facilitate better
sealing.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Vic Snively