Why two stage air compressor?

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why two stage air compressor?
From: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:26:06 -0800 (PST)
Hello folks,

I deleted the message about getting the two stage compressor over a single
stage compressor.
Maybe I missed something, but the important issue is with the air delivery rate
of the compressor.

A two stage has higher psi range (135 -175 psi) with 17 -100 free air cfm @ 175
psi.  The free air
rating @90 psi would be greater.  $1000 and up

A single stage has a maximum pressure range of 100 -135 psi with 2 to 17 free
air cfm @90 psi.
For a single stage to get the higher free air flow rating one has to go to a
larger tank capacity (ie
 30 -60 gallons).  $100 - 1000.

All of my air tools operate at 90 psi are less with a maximum of 9.0 cfm flow
rate.  It would be overkill
to get a two stage compressor.  I can't see an individual having a need for a
two stage compressor.  If
one had a bussiness that relied on multiple air tools running at the same time
or everything in the bussiness was air powered, then a two stage would be
neccesary.

On the other hand the inside diameter size of the air hose used has a big
effect on air delivery.  There are 1/4",
3/8", 1/2" and greater air hoses.  The larger the inside diameter of the hose
the larger the air flow.

I believe that for $400- 500 or less can get you a single stage compressor with
a free flow rate of  10-11 cfm @ 90 psi that will work just fine.

Now for the disclaimer,

Portability is a limitation factor for higher cfm flow rate.

I do not have a sandblaster.

I just had surgury yesterday and am taking oxycodone for the pain.
If this message does not make since, delete it!  I just couldn't figure it out
why.

Greg Perry