Re: Looking for Differential

To: webb@daikin-america.com
Subject: Re: Looking for Differential
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:55:20 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 webb@daikin-america.com wrote:

> Anybody know what year (or number) they started using the collapsible
> spacer? Also, can you verify without pulling the pinion?

The collapsible spacer appeared toward the end of production (probably '75
is my _guess_). I believe this is documented in the various catalogs (like
Moss and TRF).

I always assert that you cannot tell for sure unless you know the entire
lineage of the differential. The reason you cannot tell is that it is
likely that over 30 years lifetime, the diff has been worked on (new
pinion seals, for example, and it is likely that the one way to tell (the
castle nut vs the elastic stop nut) has been changed due to parts
availability.

The only real way to know is to pop the pinion gear from the case.

> Thanks, Pat

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |