Re: Looking for Differential

To: Grant Kester <gkester@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Looking for Differential
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:25:00 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Grant Kester wrote:

> Dear List,

Hello.

> Tragedy has struck and my differential has lost a tooth!

Join the club.

> I'm looking
> for a NOS, used or rebuilt differential to replace it with.

Good luck finding an NOS differential! As you might imagine, TR6
differentials go by the wayside with great regularity.

But don't despair - there are new gear sets out there, even if the cost is
a bit high. FOr example I bought custom gears for my race car a couple of
years ago for about $300. This means that if you shop around you might be
able to find a 3.70 ring/pinion set for you car for $150 - $200 (used).

Warning - if you buy used, make sure that the ring and pinion are a
matched set. The gears are marked with ID's, don't mix/match. I tried this
once with predictable results. And 4.88 ring/pinions are not easy to find!

> I have a
> '69 TR6 but I believe the differential from any 6 up to '76 will fit.

Actually, any TR4A IRS diff, TR250 and all TR6's will fit. Also, the
pumpkin is the same as the TVR 2500 and a few others.

If you have a choice, get an earlier setup, as the pinion bearing preload
is adjustable with shims. The latest ones used a collapsible spacer to set
bearing preload - these should be avoided.

> Does anyone know about any good sources?

The usual places - TRF, Moss, British Frame and Engine, TS Imported
Automotive. There are plenty of sources out there!

> Thanks,
> Grant Kester

regards,
Bob "crunch-clang, there goes another diff" Lang
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |