Re: I'm Back, AGAIN (troubleshooting)

To: Al Graffam <pjgraffam@juno.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I'm Back, AGAIN (troubleshooting)
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <trstevens@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:30:24 -0500
At 12:41 PM 11/12/2003, Al Graffam wrote:
>[snip]
>my '74 flattens out, bucks and looses power in the higher gears
>@ approx. 4000rpm in 4th and 5th.
>[snip]
>Ignition system looks ok.[snip]
>Note: the problem has been intermittent.
>
>Al Graffam  Suffield CT.

I vote for the ignition system being the culprit.

I had similar symptoms from two unrelated ignition system problems: once,
from a too-long mounting screw (points or condenser?) interfering with the
advance mechanism, and again from a partially-melted insulator on the
low-tension lead inside the distributor.  Everything looked fine on initial
visual inspection both times.
--
Ted Stevens     trstevens@earthlink.net
'74 TR6 Gaithersburg, MD