RE: Plastic Transmission cover

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Plastic Transmission cover
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:28:09 -0500
John,

I originally replaced my tattered tunnel back in late 70s with fiberglass and
it was a royal pain.  Did not fit quite right, too rigid to try to get it to
"conform" and the lower flange would crack if you overtightened the metal
clamps, even though there was still space between the floor and the tunnel.
Maybe the design has improved nowadays for a better fit.  But the noise factor
was another nuisance that has no doubt remained unchanged.

Went to poly in early 80s and it was a whole different story.  Still not a
perfect fit but at least it is easier to work with.  I used a piece of sound
deadening material under the carpet behind the center console to the firewall
to further dampen the noise.  I've since picked up an original tunnel in very
good condition so will probably go back to the original.  Much better fit than
either.

Again, maybe the poly tunnel fit has improved over the years.  That might
change my mind.

Greg Dito
CD6250L