RE: Plastic Transmission cover

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Plastic Transmission cover
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:43:43 -0800
        John:

        I am in the process of replacing mine with the Moss replacement. I am
concerned about the same problem. In my case, the cardboard one is in such poor
shape, I had little choice.
        I have replaced the driveline tunnel cover with fiberglass, and the
noise concerns are very warranted. The fiberglass is so stiff that it transmits
sound very effectively.
        The Moss transmission cover is made of Polyethylene (too soft to be
PVC) and it has very nice sound deadening properties relative to fiberglass. I
have not driven the car with it in place yet, so I cannot say how it performs
relative to cardboard, but I am optimistic. It is CERTAINLY better than
fiberglass.
        I suspect that the carpet covering is doing the lion's share of the
sound deadening in any event, so people with fiberglass may be perfectly happy.
I was more conservative and went with polyethylene, since I had no direct
experience with the 'glass cover.

        Cheers,

        Vance