Potential brake upgrades - Looking for Suggestions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Potential brake upgrades - Looking for Suggestions
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:49:58 -0500 (EST)
Hello Everyone:  I've completed or in process of engine & suspension upgrades
to Fast Road status (130-150 hp).   The only brake upgrade done so far is
stainless brake hoses.   I'm interested in suggestions for cost effective,
budget conscious and straightforward brake upgrades.  As my 6 is a road car, I
need both cold and warm stopping power.  I'm running modern tires and stock
wheels.  I've considered the following upgrades:

1)   EBC Green Stuff or other upgraded front pads.  Something better than
semi-metallic.    This is supposed to offer a dramatic improvement.
2)   Kevlar or other upgraded rear shoes.   Not that readily available it seems.
3)   Different rear brake cylinder.  7/8 maybe.  Morgan and maybe MGB GT 7/8
are supposed to fit right up???    Someone whose done this please chime in.  Do
smaller or larger bores than stock give you more rear brake?
4)  I understand that 4 pot front calipers from a 1980s?  Toyota 4WD bolt right
up?  With this conversion, do you stick with the stock rotors?
5)  I'm not overly ambitious about the 240Z or similar aluminum brake drums,
as I wonder how much rear brake drum heating is a consideration for street
cars.  Am I wrong here?
6)  The stuff I''ve read suggests that the commonly offered grooved and drilled
front rotors offer at best a minimal improvement.   Vented rotors are said to
offer a real improvement, but you also need different rotors.  Bigger $$.

I use DOT 4.  I don't hear of silicone being used for performance braking
reasons.

All comments most welcome.

Thank You,  Bruce Simms CF1941UO