RE: Potential brake upgrades - Looking for Suggestions

To: "'Bruce Simms'" <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Potential brake upgrades - Looking for Suggestions
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:02:38 -0800
>EBC Green Stuff or other upgraded front pads.  Something better than
semi-metallic.    This is supposed to offer a dramatic improvement.

Go to http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

>Kevlar or other upgraded rear shoes.   Not that readily available it seems.

Go to http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

>Different rear brake cylinder.  7/8 maybe.  Morgan and maybe MGB GT 7/8 are
supposed to fit right up???

7/8" from Sunbeam Alpine Series I is a bolt-in.  Vicky Brit P/N P/N 7-946 @
$19.95 ea.  I have a set mounted on my TR6.

>Do smaller or larger bores than stock give you more rear brake?

More

>I understand that 4 pot front calipers from a 1980s?  Toyota 4WD bolt right
up?  With this conversion, do you stick with the stock rotors?

There are two conversions.  One, detailed at
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.html uses stock rotors.  There
is another conversion that uses later Toyota 4-pot calipers and modified
Toyota Cressida vented rotors.  If you're interested in that one, email me
and I'll give you the part numbers.

>I'm not overly ambitious about the 240Z or similar aluminum brake drums, as
I wonder how much rear brake drum heating is a consideration for street
cars.  Am I wrong here?

Don't know about that, but they are lighter and look a whole lot nicer.
There is not much price difference between the two and if I needed to
replace a worn out set of iron drums, I'd go with the aluminum ones.  I have
a set on my TR6 - Autospecialty P/N EBD-044R

>The stuff I've read suggests that the commonly offered grooved and drilled
front rotors offer at best a minimal improvement.

Grooved is "supposed" to work real nice.  Drilling holes in rotors can
induce stress risers that can lead to cracking and failure.

>Vented rotors are said to offer a real improvement, but you also need
different rotors.  Bigger $$.

Actually the Cressida vented rotors are about the same price (or less) than
stock TR6 rotors.

>I use DOT 4.  I don't hear of silicone being used for performance braking
reasons.

(IMHO)  DOT 5 silicone is great for car that sit for long periods or
street/autocross use. Silicone is not good for ABS cars or race cars.  If
you want real performance fluid, check out the DOT 5.1 fluids.  These are
high-temp, non-silicone fluids.  They do however, take on water and eat
paint.